Sunday, June 21, 2009

Homemade Hot Pot for Two – April 25, 2009

This the last April post. Woot! Now I’m only two months behind.

I’m slowly getting there….

IMG_1625_edited-1

So after our trip to Toronto, Jimmy and I had some tofu puffs in our fridge. The best option for using them all up? Hot pot!

IMG_1606_edited-1

I’ve made hot pot many times now, and I’ve been open to experimenting with what meats work best. The clear favourite was thinly sliced pork loin roast. This time, I wasn’t able to freeze it enough, so I couldn’t slice the pork as thinly as I normally do.

IMG_1612_edited-1

Here’s a photo of the aforementioned tofu puffs and some cubes of medium-firm tofu. You`ll notice the tofu puffs are sliced in half; this is to make them able to soak up more soup faster. The tofu puffs were delicious, as per usual. We toss a handful into the soup at the start of the meal and don`t start fishing them out until we have to refill the pot with broth.

I normally get soft tofu, but Jimmy doesn`t like how it breaks up easily in the hot pot. Though I agree that it`s annoying trying to fish out fragments of soft tofu, I love the texture of it. The medium-firm tofu held up to the cauldron of soup pretty well, and it wasn`t too firm for my tastes.

IMG_1609_edited-1

I also brought out some fake crab meat, pork balls, and more tofu puffs. As you can see, the crab meat is still frozen. It didn`t really matter in the end because we were just going to boil them.

IMG_1616_edited-1

We only had two types of vegetables this time because the grocery store didn`t have any fresh enokitake. Lame. This time, we only ate napa cabbage and bok choy.

IMG_1619_edited-1

Here, you can see our entire spread. Veggies in the back; shacha sauce (沙茶醬) for mixing into a dipping sauce; a bowl of dipping sauce containing soy sauce and shacha sauce; a squeeze bottle of hoisin sauce for mixing into a dipping sauce; the plate of tofu puffs, fake crab, and pork balls; a raw egg for mixing into a dipping sauce; and the plate of sliced pork. This picture doesn`t have the tofu platter with both types of tofu because I couldn`t frame it up nicely with all the other plates.

A quick note on the sauce: everyone mixes it differently. I like mine with an egg yolk, hoisin, shacha, and Sriracha sauce (not pictured). Slightly sweet, slightly salty, and slightly spicy—it`s the perfect dipping sauce for me. Jimmy mixes his with only an egg yolk, soy sauce, and shacha sauce. I find this too salty for my taste. Basically, if you grew up mixing a sauce one way, your tastes will reflect this. If you`ve never eaten hot pot before, experiment! The possibilities are endless!

2 comments:

  1. cool we always the same hot sauce/paste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't the sauce fantastic? I can't imagine eating hot pot without it.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...