Wednesday, December 17, 2014

German Town Deli: Sandwiches and Chili

20141021_122339
I can't even count how many times that I've passed the German Town Deli on the bus. It was time for a visit.


20141021_121113

20141021_120708
When you walk up the short stairs, there's not a lot of space but there's plenty of things to see. They sell Bavarian goods like stroopwafels and even boxed knodel mix. On the left side, you'll see the variety of sandwiches, salads, and desserts.

20141021_123701
Lucy ordered the roast beef with mustard on rye bread and got a bowl of chili as well. I got two sandwiches: meatloaf sandwich, the ham and cheese bun with lettuce and tomatoes on a kaiser roll, since the sign outside suggested I get the ham on a bun.

20141021_123209
I took a bite out of Lucy's roast beef sandwich and found it a bit dry. Lucy was surprised how the chili tasted. Then I tried a spoonful. It was like having Mom's homemade chili! The seasoning was almost there, except that the Mom usually makes the chili with more salt. There also wasn't as much ground beef, but that's to be expected.

Initially, I had only planned to eat one of the sandwiches. The kaiser rolls provided enough carbs for this carb-loving monster. When it occurred to me that I was supposed to eat the other sandwich later, I was more than halfway done. Oops!

Some people will complain that there's nothing special about this place, but I disagree. Located on Slater, before the Bank Street bus stop, this unassuming shop makes comforting homely lunches.

German Town Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...