Friday, December 06, 2013

Cold Remedy: Homemade Pho

20131206_125319a

When I'm trying to get over a cold or a flu, I crave bowls of pho. What about you? Okay, so it won't cure my raw throat or the all the phlegm afterwards, but it does help alleviate the runny nose for a little bit.

Yesterday was the second day of my cold symptoms; cough, raw throat, and a little phlegm. I was craving pho but since great pho takes quite some time, we made a pot of pho last night. It simmered for a couple of hours before it was turned off last night. Then it simmered for a few more hours this morning to be ready for lunch time.

20131206_125524a

20131206_125535a
I just found out that this is AAA prime rib, broken down from a giant slab. We're thrifty like that. We usually use thinly slices of lean beef tenderloin. The slices of prime rib were so remarkably tender!

These slices, in my case, were placed raw on top of my cooked rice noodles. Then scoops of the aromatic pho soup was ladled on top, where the beef slowly cooked. Some people like to quickly dip the beef in the soup before adding to their bowls, but since the soup is hot enough, I just let it cook in my bowl of pho. This also prevents over-cooking the tender meat into something tough and chewy.

That was lunch. We'll have a second round of pho for dinner too.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm. Pho. I just had some for lunch and not I'm craving it again after seeing this. I've never made pho at home. I don't think I can do it justice for the broth. Any recipes to share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't use a recipe to make pho. Let's see... you'll need to roast ginger, onions, star anise, and cloves. Add it to beef bones (with marrow) in boiling water. Gently simmer the soup for at least 7 hours. An hour before you're ready to serve, add a small piece of fresh cinnamon stick. Season to taste with fish sauce, sugar, and salt. Take out the spices and veggies. Adjust to taste again. The soup should be saltier than usual because the rice noodles will soak up a lot of the salt. Serve.

      Delete

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...