Sunday, November 14, 2010

An Unusual Thanksgiving – October 11, 2010

This year, we didn’t have a big Thanksgiving feast. No one wanted to spend all day trapped in the kitchen, so our annual Thanksgiving blowout was cancelled. It was also unusual because Christine went away with friends that weekend and my brother was overseas for school. In the end, it was a very low-key day.

Vegetable Quiche

We had an abundance of vegetables in the fridge, so my mum made a quiche for lunch. It was full of zucchini, spinach, broccoli, chopped bacon, and cheddar cheese. My mum went wild with the cream, so it filled us up pretty quickly. I honestly couldn’t believe how quickly she threw this together. It took less than two hours, from start to finish! She made the dough from scratch, and even had time to teach my brother how to roll it out.

It was a wonderful lunch, especially when paired with a side salad. In fact, this is my go-to lunch when I’m bored with my usual lunches at work.

Roast Beef

For Thanksgiving dinner, my parents prepared a pot roast, while we cooked up the side dishes. I’m not entirely sure how, but the pot roast was a complete fail. The fat was cooked out completely, so I’m assuming the heat was too high. I found it dry and tasteless. Definitely not one of my favourite meals.

Christine's comment: I arrived on Sunday while everyone was preparing dinner. The beef was on the stove, boiling in a fragrant liquid. It reminded me of stew. I think the tenderloin wasn't a good choice of meat, since it doesn't have much marbling. You need to cook tenderloin on low heat for a longer period of time to avoid drying it out.

Mashed Potato, Beef and Mushroom Gravy, Garlic Bread

On the other hand, the sides were quite delicious. We had mashed potatoes, gravy, and garlic bread. It’s very sad to say, but I filled up on starches that night.

I smothered my small piece of pot roast with gravy and ate it with lots of bread and mashed potatoes. It's so disappointing how this dinner failed. Our family could successfully pump out dishes more complicated than this, but for some reason, pot roast is always a wreck. I think it's because we usually don't plan to make it for dinner, so we throw it all together quicker than we should. 

Next Thanksgiving will have to be mind-blasting to make up for this year’s epic fail. I’ve already begun to compile ideas and recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...