Friday, October 05, 2007

The Not-So Pho-n Adventure - October 5th

The moment we arrived in Ottawa, Christine suggested that we all go out for pho. We drove to Pho Mi 108. I like the soup there because it contains less sugar than the places in Chinatown. I really hate a sweet soup.
(Christine here...) The soup is different at Pho 108. Not only is there less sugar than the places in Chinatown, but there's more flavour. When I make pho at home, you'll taste the cloves and star anise right away and taste a bit of cinnamon, unlike the Chinatown places. When you eat here, you can taste the cloves and star anise and smell the cinnamon. I like to think of this soup as a hybrid of my homemade soup and the places in Chinatown. It's so yummy!


I don’t remember the name of what I ordered. It had two types of noodles: rice noodles and egg noodles. There was char siu, fish balls, shrimp balls, and crabstick. It was topped off with fried shallots, coriander, green onions, and bean sprouts. I didn’t ask them to not add bean sprouts because they had given us a plate of toppings on the side (bean sprouts, Thai chili, Thai basil, and limes). The soup was pretty good, compared to some of the places in Chinatown. It was really savoury and flavourful.



The only thing that shocked me was the “fried shrimp pancake.” I thought this would be a fried pancake with minced shrimp filling, and not a WHOLE SHRIMP!! It was so weird having the shrimp watch me as I tried to eat its crispy encasing. Sigh. I had expected something noticeably tamer-looking than what was served. It wasn’t bad, though. That said, I don’t think I’ll be ordering the shrimp pancake again. I’m not sure I enjoy having my dinner look at me as I devour it.

Everyone else ordered pho, with a variety of different meat combinations. This included meat balls, rare beef, tripe, tendons, slightly fatty beef, brisket, and well-done beef among others.
The final bill was below $35 for four people. It’s so hard to resist such a cheap meal!

~ * ~

Address:
Pho Mi 108
3825 Richmond Road
Ottawa, Ontario
(613) 596-0760

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...