Saturday, July 04, 2009

Suuuuuuuper Steamed Pork Buns – May 11, 2009

Now, we’ll jump back to two months ago to my first few weeks in Ottawa. My mum made steamed pork buns, otherwise called 包子 baozi, one night after work.

First, we prepared the fillings.

IMG_1837 copy

My mum used leftover spring roll fillings mixed in with ground pork, diced onions, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, and sugar.

IMG_1839 copy

We sliced the Chinese sausages thinly and diced the hardboiled eggs.

IMG_1855 copy

I sliced the rehydrated shiitake mushrooms and fried them quickly with soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar. Yummy!

IMG_1866 copy

Earlier in the day, my mum made the dumpling dough. It’s important to give the dough time to rest and rise before you use them to wrap. Otherwise, the baozi will turn out pockmarked and lumpy looking.

Here, I’m mixing another batch of dough because we ran out. The buns we made using this batch were lumpy and gross looking. Not an attractive batch at all.

IMG_1869 copy

Here’s the steamer. I’m pretty sure we’ve had this one since I was a little kid.

IMG_1874 copy

The finished product!

IMG_1881 copy

Here’s a shot of my first bite of the baozi I wrapped. Yeah, I didn’t wrap it so well. There’s way too much dough. Oopsies! These bad boys filled me up a lot faster than the ones that my mum wrapped.

But I’m quite proud that my buns were edible. Next time will be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...